|Animas River Days at a glance|
Pump up the raft, pull out the boat, and put on your skirt. Animas River Days returns this weekend. The annual celebration of the Animas rolls back into Durango on June 12-14. A schedule of events follows (all events are at Santa Rita Park unless otherwise noted):
Friday, June 12
-Kent Ford’s “The Call of the River,” the flyfishing films “The Hatch” and “See The Take” show at 7 & 9 p.m. at the Smiley Theatre, 1309 E. Third Ave. A silent auction/intermission meets at 8:45 p.m.
Saturday, June 13
• Boater registration takes place from 8:30-9:30 a.m. A mandatory competition meeting is set for 9:45 a.m.
• The whitewater slalom race begins at 10 a.m.
• A fly casting and tying demo begins at 10 a.m.
• The Doggie Games, including a dog look-a-like contest, crazy dog contest and beach dog contest, takes place from 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
• Trout Unlimited’s free flyfishing clinic at 1 p.m.
• The Down-Up-Down river/running race at 2 p.m.
• The ever-popular River Parade puts on at 32nd St. at 5 p.m. Post-parade BBQ at 6:30 p.m. at Santa Rita Park
• Ska Brewing, in Bodo Park, hosts an Animas River Days Party, 8 p.m.-2 a.m., with music from Mama’s Cookin’
Sunday, June 14
• The downriver race takes place on the Animas River from 9-10 a.m.
• The whitewater rodeo runs from 10 a.m.-noon
• A river clean-up takes place along the Animas from noon-2 p.m.