Turning democracy into autocracy
To the editor,
1. Use voter suppression, invite the help of a ruthless foreign power, and have a little luck to ensure that an aspiring despot gifted in the art of demagoguery becomes the chief executive.
2. Contrive to elect a majority of members of the upper legislative body who are willing to confirm the aspiring despot’s nominations of politically compliant judges and cabinet members, including, most importantly, the nation’s chief law enforcement officer.
3. Lie so often that the public gets used to it and treats it as normal.
4. Flout the law in every instance in which it’s useful to do so.
5. Create false domestic and foreign emergencies to divert public attention from your efforts to convert your country’s democracy into an autocracy.
– Edward Packard, Durango