Power of the ballot box
Every election cycle we hear that democracy is under threat. This year, it’s really true. The GOP is trying to promote a dangerous fundamental change in our country. We need only to look at what’s been happening in GOP states:
• Criminalization of women’s right to control their own bodies, and Big Brother efforts to enforce that criminalization. The collateral damage is women’s lives at risk.
• People working minimum wage at $7.25/hr., far below what’s needed for economic survival and the rate in other states.
• The most minimal social safety nets for people at the bottom, and not surprisingly, the highest rates of poverty and people with no form of health insurance.
• Efforts to ban books from schools and community libraries. Some people don’t like certain ideas, and they don’t want anyone else to have access to those ideas either.
• Vague laws proscribing what teachers and students can discuss in public school classrooms, such as honest American history, racism or LGBTQ issues.
• Voter suppression measures enacted in GOP states in the bogus guise of protecting election integrity. One of the classic ways of rigging elections is political gerrymandering. Both parties do it, but the GOP has raised it to a fine art. They could take over the House this fall just with gerrymandering, never mind what voters want.
• Then there are the efforts to overturn results of the 2020 presidential election. This fall, the GOP is running candidates in several states who pledge to overturn results where voters prefer the non-GOP candidate. What they’re saying is that elections will only count when they win.
Anyone who supports democracy should vote for Democrats in November. Boycott the GOP.
– Carole McWilliams, Bayfield