Hitting the trail
In its fourth year, Backcountry Experience’s Colorado Trail Days returns this weekend with a full slate of activities for the trail freaks near and far. Headlining this year’s event is Ridgway-based alpinist, climbing guide and mountain athlete Steve House. At 5 p.m. Saturday, House will present his latest book Training for the Uphill Athlete, which he wrote with the help of ultra-running phenom Kilian Jornet and cross country ski coach Steve Johnson.
Other speakers include: ultralight backpacker 5 Pound Pete; “The Running Bum” Morgan Sjogren; artist and adventurer Hannah Green; and Colorado’s “Mr. Fourteener,” guidebook author Gerry Roach (for more on him, see p. 19.)
In addition, all weekend long, the Osprey Pack and Exped Dunk Tank Mattress repair stations will be on hand to assess and offer free pack or sleeping pad repairs (if feasible). The Colorado Trail Days event schedule follows (all events at Backcountry Experience unless noted):
Fri., June 28:
• 5 Point Film Festival, outdoor and adventure films, 6:30 p.m., Powerhouse Science Center
Sat., June 29:
• Coffee talk with the San Juan Mountain Association, 9:30 a.m., OR Tiny House
• Ultralight Luxury with 5 Pound Pete, 10 a.m.
• Bikepacking the Colorado Trail, with self-support adventurer Brett Davis, 12 noon
• Outlandish: Fuel Your Epic with writer Morgan “The Running Bum” Sjogren, 2 p.m.,
• How to use a Map and Compass with Graham Coffey, 3:30 p.m.
• Training for the Uphill Athlete with alpinist Steve House, 5 p.m.
Sun., June 30:
• Salomon Group Run/Hike Shoe Demo, 10 a.m., Junction Creek
• Society Through Adventure’s Lens with runner, bike-packer and artist Hannah Green, 1 p.m.
• Water Filtration with MSR, 2 p.m.